Have you ever considered seeking psychotherapy to help you manage or overcome a personal or emotional concern? Or perhaps you’re engaged in therapy currently or you have participated in the past.
We know that psychotherapy works. In a previous post, I wrote about some of the considerable evidence for the effectiveness of psychotherapy.
But what are some of the tangible benefits of psychotherapy?
Here are 20 potentially life-changing benefits you could obtain from psychotherapy. This list is by no means exhaustive and in no particular order, but it’s certainly a good start in outlining some of the common benefits of psychotherapy.
1) Have a safe and private place to talk about sensitive personal issues
2) Better understand symptoms and diagnosis
3) Become informed about additional effective treatment options
4) Decrease or eliminate depression and anxiety
5) Reduce and manage negative or destructive thoughts, feelings and behaviors
6) Understand and process effects of traumatic events
7) Stop using drugs, tobacco and alcohol
8) Reduce impulses and actions of self-harm or aggression
9) Plan for crises to ensure safety and reduce risk of harm
10) Learn effective coping skills to manage difficult situations
11) Improve sleep, nutrition and physical activity patterns
12) Establish new healthy behaviors and habits
13) Have more satisfying relationships at home, school or work
14) Learn to be more mindful, less stressed and more relaxed
15) Become more confident and at ease in social situations
16) Understand personal values and how to live in accord with them
17) Increase focus, attention, organization and time management skills
18) Learn about self-help and community resources and supports
19) Become a better caregiver or advocate for others
20) Improve overall physical and mental health and wellness
Many conditions will require other forms of treatment in addition to psychotherapy, such as medications, lifestyle management or behavior change programs. But psychotherapy is certainly a powerful and effective tool to help you on the path to a happier and more fulfilling life.
Here’s a question: What are some additional potential benefits of psychotherapy? Please leave a comment. Also, please subscribe to my blog and feel free to follow me on Twitter, “like” my Facebook page, or connect on LinkedIn. Finally, if you enjoyed this article, please share it with a friend. Thanks!